Always on the search of breakfast on the go, I amended a recipe from Trim Healthy Table pp 350 called Oatmeal on the Go Cups. I even like them cold, straight out of the fridge. A great on-the-go breakfast or snack. This is a very versatile recipe. I will probably do a batch with other frozen fruit – strawberry / banana sounds good, and chocolate chips and banana would be fun also.
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 bananas
- 1+ cup frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cups egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or water)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 pinches mineral salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sweeten to taste with your chosen sweetener (see what I did below**)
- Optional – I added 1/4 cup of Integral Collagen
Mix this all together and divide in a lined and greased (cooking spray) muffin tin (makes 12).
Oven = 450 / 18 minutes
**The original uses a 1/2 cup granular sweetener called Gentle Sweet. Not being fond of the after-taste of powdered stevia that I got in the first batch, I amended the recipe and am quite pleased with it. So feel free to tweak it to your taste.
- A little more vanilla
- Shredded coconut
- Coconut extract (I like coconut) – the original recipe calls for banana extract but that would overwhelm me. It is pretty banana-y with 2 bananas in it.
- liquid Stevia – one dropper full and I used the SweetLeaf English Toffee flavor, which did not leave an aftertaste
- I also added a small amount of Truvia – approx a tablespoon, but I will probably leave that out next time.